Sunday, February 1, 2015

Reading Diary B: Twenty-Two Goblins

I continued to read the second half of the Twenty-Two Goblins reading unit and picked out some more favorite riddles told by the goblin. The king remained my favorite character for sticking it out and continuing his quest even though he had to restart again and again due to the goblin's riddles.

The King who died for Love of his General's Wife

This story caught my attention because of the acts of the king. He could have easily taken the general's wife due to his status as king. Instead, he thought that it would have been wrong of him to make the general give up his wife. The death of the general was somewhat surprising to me. I also enjoyed the description of the king to the goblin about why the king in the riddle was more deserving than the general.

The Four Brothers

I liked this story and the message behind it. The last brother used his skill of bringing life to what his brothers made just to show off even though he knew it was a lion he would be reviving. He did so and the lion turned around and killed all the brothers. Sometimes just because you can do something doesn't mean you should, especially when it can have dire consequences.

Conclusion

Who doesn't like a good ending? I liked this part because it seemed like since the king was such a good sport throughout the story in regards to the goblin's games that he decided to warn the king of the monk's overall plans. It was a feel good ending that the goblin ultimately saved the king from death.

A possible picture of the goblin! (Wikipedia)

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Will! So I love how concise your posts are on each story. They tell both the plot and a bit of your reaction, which is fantastic. And the story of the Four Brothers seems really interesting, and definitely like a tale with an obvious moral, haha. Though if I could bring a lion back to life, I'd probably end up doing it just to prove that I could, regardless of the consequences, lol.

    ReplyDelete