Thursday, April 23, 2015

Extra Reading Diary: Lang's Fairy Tales II

I decided to do an extra reading this week. I chose Lang's Fairy Tales (II) unit because all the stories seemed to be a little lengthier. I liked them because the detail in the story was greater than just a one page fairy tale. I kept some notes over my favorite stories as always and they are found below:

Half-Chick

I found this story to be very amusing. At first, I found myself thinking this is a story where I will end up rooting for Half-Chick to break away from his mom and family to become a great chicken despite only have one leg, wing, ear, etc. After he spurned all those asking for help on his way to Madrid and the King, I found it funny that they all ended up spelling his demise in the end. It would have been interesting to see what Half-Chick would have done had he been spared and if he would have changed his ways.

Medio Pollito atop the tallest church in Madrid, illustrated by H.J. Ford (1982).

Seven-Headed Serpent

In fairy tales such as this its always the must unsuspecting source that gives the answer needed to slay an evil beast. The old nun gave a very intricate plan to slay the seven-headed serpent. I thought the fact that the only sword that could slay the beast was hanging above his bed was also a sword that regenerated itsself. Seven times it would regenerate to cut off all seven heads. The plan to kill the serpent sounded like it was the last level of some intricate and difficult video game.

No comments:

Post a Comment