Sunday, April 12, 2015

Reading Diary A: Dante's Inferno

I chose to read Dante's Inferno for the reading of Week 13. I was really interested in this unit just from the description given at the beginning of the Un-Textbook. As I read, I realized that I had chosen a unit that was hard for me to understand if I didn't read carefully and thoughtfully. Many times I had to go back and reread a paragraph or two to fully understand what was going on or what had happened. I took some notes while I read and they are shown below. The image I included really helped me understand each level and what was going on throughout the story.

Paolo and Francesca

I liked this story because it was the first story where Dante actually had a conversation with one of the souls in hell. I'm glad for the description of the story beforehand or I would have been really confused on what occurred here in this story. Francesca tells Dante how love is what led her to her current state and Dante is initially and rightfully confused. After speaking with Virgil, he then turns back to Francesca to explain how love put her in the place she now resides. She then tells her story of her affair and Dante then fully understands.

Cerebus and Plutus

I found it very interesting that no one knows the exact meaning of "'Papé Satàn, papé Satàn aleppe" which comes from the mouth of Plutus. It really makes me want to research possible meanings. I find it interesting that for a story that has been around this long that there isn't an exact interpretation.

Fortune and Phlegyas

The scene that really stood out to me here was the scene of the souls that were sentenced to, what I assume, a lifetime of anger. I can see where anger can ruin lives and I thought that was a good image of it. Having people have looks of pure anger on their face and biting and clawing each other to near death was a very powerful image.



Levels of Hell within Datne's Inferno (Wikidpedia Commons)

No comments:

Post a Comment