Monday, April 13, 2015

Reading Diary B: Dante's Inferno

I finished up the reading for Dante's Inferno for this reading diary. I felt like I had a better understanding while reading this half of the unit than I did when I first began reading. Maybe it was the break I took between the two but whatever it was I comprehended what was occurring a little easier. I once again took notes on my favorite stories or what peaked my interest and these are found below.

The Harpies and Capaneus

I felt like this chapter of the story gave rise to the familiar scene of hell seen in movies and such. The "crimson boiling" is what I pictured to be fiery lava or something similar. Dante describes how there are people are submerged in this in varying degrees: some up to their necks and others just with their feet completely in the boiling. This is what I would expect to see in a movie scene of hell. Dante learns that these people are guilty of extreme violence against others.

Descending of Geryon's Back

This scene seemed a little crazy not only to me but apparently also to Dante. He has to climb onto the back of Geryon, a monster with wings, paws, a man's face, and a dragon's body. Virgil and Dante ride him down to the eighth circle of hell. The way Dante describes his fear while riding the monstrous beast is very detailed and I don't blame him!

Jason and the Demons

In the first chasm, pimps and seducers were tormented. Within this story, the tale of Jason was told where he abandons Hypsipyle, who he impregnated. He is tormented by his overwhelming guilt for leaving her with child after he seduced her with his charm and gifts. This seems like it would be a good story on its own regardless of being mentioned within Dante's Inferno.

Dante's Inferno theatrical poster for the 1924 film (Wikipedia).

No comments:

Post a Comment