Sunday, January 25, 2015

Reading Diary A: Aesop's Fables (Jacobs)

As I read through the first half of Aesop's Fables (Jacobs) I found quite a few of the stories to carry interesting messages. Here are a few of my favorites which were mostly picked due to the underlying message of the story:

The Lion and the Statue: I liked this story for the message that everyone can spin stories and happenings into what benefits them the most. Another way to put this is to "take everything with a grain of salt".

The Four Oxen and the Lion: This story had the message of "united we stand, divided we fall". This served as a gentle reminder to me that sometimes you can't do it all by yourself. Sometimes you need a little help from friends and family!

Belling the Cat: The message behind this fable was: "It is easy to propose impossible remedies". I like this because I have been in many situations where there is a solution but who really wants to do the hard part? Also, picturing a team of mice trying to determine a way to warn of a cat coming is pretty amusing!

The One-Eyed Doe: This story involved a doe that had lost her eye and did everything possible to keep her out of harms way. She took all precautions and was still shot by hunters. The message given by the story was that "you cannot escape your own fate". I took from this the message that sometimes whatever happens was supposed to happen.

The Hare and the Tortoise: This was one of my favorites because everyone has heard this one! There are many versions of the message that can be taken from this fable. The message I most enjoy from this is that it doesn't matter how great you start. What matters is that you stay steady and finish strong. I could easily see this being a story I use for my storytelling post later this week.

I imagine this was the headline the next day after the legendary race! (Wikipedia)


No comments:

Post a Comment