Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Extra Reading: Robin Hood

I decided to do an extra reading this week instead of writing an essay. I chose the Robin Hood unit because I can remember hearing stories or watching Robin Hood when I was young. Reading this unit was a little bit of a challenge as I thought reading the stories in ballad form was actually tougher than I thought. I did manage to find a few favorites during my reading and I convey them below.

Robin Hood on the cover of a comic (Wikipedia).

Little John

This was an amusing little ballad. I thought it was entertaining to hear they called him Little John even though he stood near seven feet tall and could obviously fight very well. I also liked that even though their small battle did seem to be very vicious it ended up being all in good fun. At the end of the fight, Robin Hood's band of merry men are called upon and act to avenge their leader's loss. Instead of this, Robin Hood offer's to take in Little John and teach him the way of his band of men within the forest.

The Ranger

This story is a lot like the story of Little John. The ranger confronts Robin Hood and tells him that he is in charge of the forest and Robin Hood disagrees saying that he reigns supreme in the forest. Once again, Robin Hood battles his foe for a long period of time. When the battle is over, it seems like the two have battled to a draw. Once again, Robin Hood invites the ranger to join his band of merry men and they feast and drink all night to celebrate their new member.

2 comments:

  1. It's interesting to see that Robin Hood is not simply one story, but rather a collection of stories! I guess I always thought that the former case was true.

    From the summary given here, it looks like both stories are somewhat of an adventure. I wonder how that was conveyed through ballad form? I'd be interested in reading more about these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like this is a really good week to do an extra reading because there are so many good units- or at least so many units that we recognize from childhood.

    I agree that it probably was really challenging to read this in ballad form, but then again different forms of stories can challenge us and make us appreciate them in a new way. I also like that you list your favorite stories and then describe why you like them. It is a really logical way to arrange your reading diaries.

    ReplyDelete